The town of Walnut Cove installed the first fire hydrant in the mid 1920’s. Also, in this same time frame a hose wagon was purchased. The hose wagon was manned and operated by citizens of the community for a number of years. As time progressed, the need for a more formal fire department became evident. On March 5, 1956, the Walnut Cove Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. was chartered. There were 21 charter members in the department. Today, the fire department, rescue squad, and ladies auxiliary have a membership of approximately 60 volunteers serving the Walnut Cove community.
In 1996, the department dedicated and started occupying a new fire station. The old station that served the community for many years was torn down in 1995 in order to make room for this new building, to better serve the future needs of Walnut Cove. The present building encompasses a 12,500 square foot area which includes six drive-thru bays, administrative areas, a kitchen and ladies and men dormitories. This station is located at the site of the old building at Main and Sixth Street. This has been the site of the fire department since the mid 1940’s when it was just a one bay station. The department has responded to many calls from the building located on this site for 50 years.